It might seem like a boring phrase, but it’s absolutely essential for every language. And, when you start learning a language, it’s often among the first phrases you learn.
- English: There is. In some dialects, It’s as in “It’s an accident on I-90.”
- German: Es gibt. Literally, “It gives.”
- French: Il y a. Literally, “He yuh ah.”
- Spanish: Hay. Pronounced “ay.”
- Latin: Est. Literally, “is.” And now, for some island Southeast Asian languages …
- Indonesian: Ada.
- Ngaju language: Tege.
- Siang language: Oko.
There, wasn’t that interesting, actually? Those are all the ones I know. Do you know any more? Leave them in the comments.